Open Date: 07/19/2022
The Greater Phoenix Economic Council (GPEC) is seeking a Controller to join our team. The position reports to the Vice President of Human Resources and works with the leadership team to successfully execute financial responsibilities for the organization. The controller position is accountable for the accounting operations of the organization, to include the production of monthly financial reports, maintenance of the system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the organization’s reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Ensure Proper Recording of Accounting Transactions and Timely Payment of Obligations
- Responsible for all aspects of the general ledger, AR, AP, and fixed assets, including:
- Process invoices for payment
- Prepare general journal entries
- Ensure compliance with all financial policies of the organization
- Ensure that all business transactions are recorded correctly and accurately
Prepare and Monitor Budgets and Prepare Forecasts for the Organization
- Prepare reports, which summarize and forecast GPEC business activity and financial position in areas of income, expense, pledges, and other funding
- Advise senior management on budget variances and financial adjustments necessary to meet goals and budget
Prepare Accurate and Complete Financial Statements and Reports for GPEC Management and Leadership
- Reconcile general ledger accounts monthly and execute the month end close and financial statements
- Ensure adherence to all applicable accounting laws and the preparation of financials according to GAAP
Ensure Regulatory Compliance and Assist with Annual Audit
- Ensure preparation of work papers for annual audit of company’s records and accounts
- Assist third-party auditor in the preparation of all company tax returns; that they are accurately completed and submitted timely to the relevant agencies
- Prepare any other reports required by regulatory agencies
- Ensure all company and accounting records are maintained and kept according to applicable law
- Oversee all financial, project/program and accounting needs related to awarded grants; ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant/fund period; collate financial reporting materials for all awarded grants.
Requirements, Qualifications and Desired Traits
- A minimum of seven years’ experience in accounting including full financial statement preparation
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and CPA certification
- Non-profit accounting experience preferred
- Grant management experience preferred
- Proficient in QuickBooks or comparable accounting program
- Proficient on Microsoft Programs such as Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Experience working in a team-oriented environment and with board level executives
Salary range is dependent on experience & offers a full range of benefits. Qualified candidates should respond by sending a cover letter and resume with salary history via email to email@example.com. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
About the Greater Phoenix Economic Council
The Greater Phoenix Economic Council (GPEC), named the top economic development organization (EDO) globally in 2021 by the International Economic Development Council, works to attract and grow quality businesses and advocate for the competitiveness of Greater Phoenix. A data-driven regional EDO, GPEC works with 22 member communities, Maricopa County and more than 190 private investors to accomplish its mission and serve as a strategic partner to companies across the world as they expand or relocate to Greater Phoenix. Over the past 32 years GPEC has fueled the regional economy by helping 895 companies, creating nearly 164,000 jobs and $33.4 billion in capital investment. Greater Phoenix is in a relentless pursuit of innovative and entrepreneurial-focused companies looking to thrive and scale in a vibrant, dynamic region. There is an undeniable spirit about Greater Phoenix; one rooted in strength, collaboration and resilience. Greater Phoenix is Greater Together.
- We are an inclusive, diverse family
- We lead from the front
- We are change agents
- We promote intellectual curiosity
- We remain on the edge
- We are agile and adapt to change
- We are tenacious
- We are committed to selfless service
GPEC is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national, social, or ethnic origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.