Open date: 11/08/21
The Greater Phoenix Economic Council (GPEC) is seeking a Director, Communications to join our Marketing and Communications (MarComm) team. The position reports to the Senior Vice President of Marketing and Communications. The Director, Communications, in partnership with SVP of MarComm, will be responsible for GPEC’s internal and external communications strategy — encompassing a variety of functions such as thought leadership, public relations, social media, blogs and internal communications. This position will also serve in a leadership capacity to coordinate content creation and dissemination.
The position is expected to shape and drive content aligned with annual objectives and is designed to ensure strong engagement with GPEC stakeholders.
- Provide strategic direction and messaging on key initiatives to both internal and external stakeholders.
- Implement a strategic media relations plan that elevates the region and GPEC’s profile internationally and nationally.
- Respond to media requests and provide information for stories; facilitate interviews as necessary.
- Develop, maintain and enhance relationships with targeted local media.
- Maintain current, in-depth knowledge of the business and political climate of Greater Phoenix.
- Take the lead on submitting the organization for awards and evangelize achievements.
- Craft messaging for various channels such as press releases, social media, executive thought leadership, blog, events and more.
- Coordinate new locate announcements with partner organizations via news release or press conference.
Key Results Expected
- Craft news content for GPEC social media channels.
- Development of a comprehensive communications program that is innovative and dynamic.
- Efficient and customer-service oriented management of media partners and MarComm counterparts at local businesses.
- Regular assessment and idea creation around new ways to pitch our story.
- Understanding of GPEC’s strategic initiatives and application of these objectives in body of work.
- Effective engagement with GPEC investors and development of opportunities to include their story in media opportunities.
- Strong relationships among partner organizations and stakeholders.
- Effectiveness in working with all departments at GPEC to execute plans.
- Frequency in communication of progress and results to MarComm team and senior staff.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related area such as public relations, communications or journalism
- 7-10 years of related work experience
- Possess a player-coach mentality as someone that can manage, motivate and jump in to get the job done
- Must have experience in the composition of concise, accurate and persuasive material
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with top-tier technology and business reporters and editors
- Successful history of pitching media to achieve high-impact placements
- Creative ability in identifying and presenting story opportunities that appeal to target audiences
- Strong presentation skills and the ability to interface effectively with media professionals, senior-level business executives and elected/public officials
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Goal driven, self-motivated, persistent, and professional
- Proficiency in AP style, copy writing and editing strongly preferred
- Familiarity and relationships with local media a plus
- Knowledge of Cision or other media contact management software a plus
- Agency and/or nonprofit experience a plus
Salary range is dependent on experience & offers a full range of benefits. Qualified candidates should respond by sending a confidential resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or regular mail to:
Attn: Martha Miner
2 N. Central Ave., Suite 2500
Phoenix, AZ 85004
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
About the Greater Phoenix Economic Council
The Greater Phoenix Economic Council (GPEC), named the top economic development organization (EDO) globally in 2021 by the International Economic Development Council, works to attract and grow quality businesses and advocate for the competitiveness of Greater Phoenix. A data-driven regional EDO, GPEC works with 22 member communities, Maricopa County and more than 200 private investors to accomplish its mission and serve as a strategic partner to companies across the world as they expand or relocate to Greater Phoenix. Over the past 32 years GPEC has fueled the regional economy by helping 895 companies, creating nearly 164,000 jobs and $33.4 billion in capital investment. Greater Phoenix is in a relentless pursuit of innovative and entrepreneurial-focused companies looking to thrive and scale in a vibrant, dynamic region. There is an undeniable spirit about Greater Phoenix; one rooted in strength, collaboration and resilience. Greater Phoenix is Greater Together. For more information about GPEC and how we can assist your businesses, visit www.gpec.org.
- We are an inclusive, diverse family
- We lead from the front
- We are change agents
- We promote intellectual curiosity
- We remain on the edge
- We are agile and adapt to change
- We are tenacious
- We are committed to selfless service
GPEC is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national, social or ethnic origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.